Various books and web articles provide definitions of what makes a great manager. But if we asked ourselves the question “who was the best manager we ever had and why?” Would the characteristics of our favourite manager neatly fall into the definitions we’ve read?
When I thought about the good managers I have had over the years, the following characteristics came out consistently:
- they empowered me rather than micro managed
- they were an excellent communicators
- they expressed genuine interest/concern in my success and personal well-being
- they had a clear vision/strategy for the team
- they were open, honest, consistent and fair
But what I might want from my manager, to get the best out of me, maybe different from another…So tell me, who was the best manager you ever had and why?